Day 54+

I feel like all my posts start out the same way these days. I’ve been so exhausted lately. I can barely do anything. But, let’s see what important stuff happened.

I had a follow up with my regular oncologist. She was surprised I was discharged from BMT so quickly but said I was doing really well. My BMT oncologist wants me to do another 16 cycles of Brentuximab. So we’re planning to start that at my usual cancer center. It’ll take a little over a year to complete. But, since my port was removed, we may have to get a new one put in. The veins in my arms are pretty much dead. We’ll see what happens.

We were planning to start Brentuximab in the beginning of June. My oncologist said I could wait until I get my PET scan and see the results and stuff. But, I wanted to start as soon as possible.

I went into the office on June 2 for my first cycle of Brentuximab. Walking into the chemo room for a fourth time sucks. All the nurses are like, “Stephenie! Good to see you!” But, in their eyes, you know they’re thinking, “Damn… she’s back. That sucks.” But, it’s ok. I love my chemo nurses.

I was in the midst of getting set up and I was telling my nurse about this acute abdominal and back pain that I’ve been having for a week or so. I tried calling the office and the BMT office about it but no one seemed to care that much. But, the pain is so excruciating. I’ve just been living off of tylenol.

She told my oncologist and they moved me to an exam room. My doctor wasn’t even in the office yet, but she wanted to see me before starting treatment. After she got to the office and examined me, she sent me to the ER.

My mom drove us to the Northside Cherokee ER. There’s no way my mom could drive into Atlanta to get to Northside Atlanta. It was my first time in the ER. We were basically there for like 6 hours. I threw up twice. They did a CT scan and drugged me up to get rid of the pain. They decided to admit me to the hospital because they couldn’t figure out what was wrong. That same day, I also had an EKG, gallbladder ultrasound, MRI, chest x-ray. Everything.

Northside Cherokee is pretty small. I don’t think they knew what to do with a post stem cell transplant patient. So they were extra cautious with the PPE to enter my room. My sorority sister works at Northside Cherokee as a pharmacist. She saw my name on an order and came to visit me. Kelsey and Justin also came that first night I stayed in the hospital.

The next day, I was transferred to Northside Atlanta back to the BMT unit. It was my first time in an ambulance. I was supposed to get a PET scan that Monday, but they ran out of radioactive dye. I guess no one at Northside Atlanta does inventory. So I got my PET scan on Tuesday and they discharged me. They still have no idea what’s wrong with me. All of my tests came back normal. The only weird thing is that my white blood cell count is up. They just sent me home with some really weak pain meds. I think I have a high tolerance for pain meds though. It was the first time I had morphine and it didn’t do anything for me. People probably hyped it up too much. I have a follow up with my BMT doctor on Monday to go over my PET scan results.

So that’s pretty much what’s been going on with me. I’ve just been in constant pain for the past couple weeks. Even after 5 days in the hospital, my doctors still don’t know what’s wrong with me. Hopefully, we’ll find something out tomorrow.

In happier news, my cousins welcomed their baby boy into the world on June 7! His name is Avery. Isn’t he precious? I can’t wait to meet him.

Avery Carter Kish

Avery Carter Kish


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.